This blog chiefly seeks to collate materials available elsewhere on the net by or about J Gresham Machen


Monday 12 January 2009

On Good news

What good does it do to me to tell me that the type of religion presented in the Bible is a very fine type of religion and that the thing for me to do is just to start practicing that type of religion now? ... I will tell you, my friend. It does me not one tiniest little bit of good. ... What I need first of all is not exhortation, but a gospel, not directions for saving myself but knowledge of how God has saved me. Have you any good news? That is the question that I ask of you. I know your exhortations will not help me. But if anything has been done to save me, will you not tell me the facts?"
(Cited in Michael Horton's Trust and Obey, p 40.
From J. Gresham Machen, Christian Faith in the Modern World Macmillan, 1936 p 57)

No comments: